January 11, 2023
Thank you for... 🤗
IT'S INTERNATIONAL THANK YOU DAY!
Saying "thank you" is a very time honored tradition. The Oxford English Dictionary claims the word "thank" came from the word "think" around 450AD. Before it existed people would say "I think of you kindly" to express appreciation. The expression eventually became "I thank you" and later "thank you" around the 14th century. It was later shortened to "thanks" in the 18th century.
Teachers saying "thanks" has been observed to elicit better responses in teaching children and one study found that servers writing "thank you" on checks resulted in bigger tips.
My "thank you" today goes out to the team here at Boredwalk, who all help make this company happen, and to you, for supporting Boredwalk.
* clicking the link above will apply $10 off any order you place today as long as the order total is $50 or more.
GIF via Nebraska Humane Society
What happened on January 11ths of the past? Here are a few things:
• Born on this day: singer-songwriter Mary J. Blige (1971), US founding father Alexander Hamilton (1755), suffragist and women's rights activist Alice Paul (1885), and singer/actress Naomi Judd (1946)
• On this day in 1908 the Grand Canyon National Monument was created
• Amelia Earhart became the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California on this day in 1935
• The US Surgeon General declared that cigarettes may be hazardous to health on this day in 1964
• Insulin was first used on humans to treat diabetes on this day in 1922
• Snowfall was first recorded in Los Angeles on this day in 1949*
* Currently Los Angeles is awash in ALL of the rain! This is not the norm; we are such a famously dry place that there's even a soft rock single about it. So soggy, so many impromptu rivers, so many assorted objects out for a swim in the streets!
Alright, you've waited long enough — on to the links!
1. 💋 My Year of D!cks
This is actually a short film so it's a longer form video than I normally share in our list of Wednesday diversions, but save this link and check it out when you're looking for something to watch later. I thought it was great!
This video is here to remind you that you should really go easy on yourself because there are way bigger bozos out there.
3. 💀 Spooky resolutions
The Boredwalk team has a few ideas for some more ominous resolutions. While you're there, be sure to check out the return of the Boredwalk Podcast!
These two can't wait to meet you!
This video perfectly roasts the most annoying people in the comment section.
OK! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with NEW ART, more nonsense holidays to dissect, more notable birthdays (and maybe even some notable deathdays!) to celebrate, and more witty content in general. Don't miss it! Until next time...
Peace, love, and thanks