Boredwalk Community: Idiot Island
Welcome to our weekly Boredwalk Community series, where we ask Boredwalk fans fun questions! This week we're talking to Mylah of Smyrna GA, showing off a Slay the Patriarchy shirt.
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job? My day job and dream job are actually the same! I'm a singer/performer/songwriter for a living. The only difference between the everyday version and the dream version is I'd like to be making exponentially more doing it. It's coming though =) I also recently got my real estate license, so there's that. (Ed. note: Real talk — Mylah's music is AWESOME, and you should absolutely check it out and tell all your friends about her! Keep going for relevant links!)
2. What's your biggest pet peeve? Mouth sounds! Smacking, loud chewing, gum popping, heavy breathing....YUCK!!! It makes me want to stab myself in the throat...or stab the person, lol.
3. What's the best piece of advice you've received? "Just do it!" Okay, so that message didn't actually come to ME specifically, lol (thank you Nike!) but I DO apply it to many aspects of life. Instead of wishing or waiting or pining away for something you want to accomplish? JUST FRIKKIN DO IT!
4. If you could have any super power what would it be and why? I'd be able to instantly banish evil, mean, intolerant and/or narrow-minded idiots to Idiot Island. =) Let them prosper among their fellow kind. Oh, and I'd be able to eat unlimited fries and cake and not gain any weight. That would be awesome. (Oh boy, do I know some people who need a one-way ticket to Idiot Island...)
5. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list? Performing in a huge stadium and having the audience sing along! (Let's make this happen!)
6. What is a surprising fact about you? That underneath this amazingly cool exterior (ha!), I'm pretty much an introverted book worm who likes to stay at home in sweats, learning about different cultures, new skills, cool places to travel, etc. I LOVE being home! (This is a big mood. Pretty sure I wouldn't feel like death warmed over right now if I'd just stayed home last week.)
7. You're a musician; who are your biggest influences, and can you pinpoint the time or event that made you want to make music? As a performer, my early influences came from church. Just seeing the reaction that charismatic people received was a little intoxicating from early on. As a songwriter/singer, I've loved Prince, Sade, Alanis Morrisette, Faith Evans, Erykah Badu, Anita Baker, Andre 3000, Kendrick Lamar....my Dad! And a lot of my indie friends continue to inspire me every day. (The thing I love about Mylah's music is that I can totally hear all of these influences swirling around in her songs, but how she synthesizes them in her own material is still very unique to her. Again, check her stuff out!)
8. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you? I'm most active on Instagram (@mylahmusic) and you can also find me at mylahmusic.com
Leave a comment