Boredwalk Community: Life is Hard and Full of Misery
Welcome to our weekly Boredwalk Community series, where we ask Boredwalk fans fun questions! This week we're talking to Kate F. of Herndon VA, showing off a My Head Says Homework My Heart Says Cat Videos shirt.
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I'm a school library assistant and substitute teacher. My dream job is to be a cat petter/book reader. (Ed. note: I also aspire to read books and pet cats professionally!)
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
Hearing people chew! It fills me with fiery rage. (Second place: other people rearranging my books! I have them in a specific order. Put them back where you found them, or let me do it.)
3. What's a book that you think the Boredwalk community should read?
A book everyone should read is Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. It's super short, but thought-provoking. It's about what Einstein might have dreamed about while he worked at the Swiss patent office. That might sound esoteric and incomprehensible, but it's actually a fun read. (I'm sold!)
4. What's the most useful piece of advice you've received?
Probably my Mom's line from childhood. Any time my sisters or I would complain, she'd say, "life is hard and full of misery." I know that sounds rough, but the message is good — sometimes life sucks, but you have to deal with it. (A related, but happier piece of advice from my Mom: "this, too, shall pass." When life is hard, just keep moving. It will get better eventually.)
5. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
I want to see the northern lights!
6. Clear up a misconception (about your job, where you are from, some other topic you know a lot about).
Librarians don't just shush patrons and shelve books. Libraries are filled with amazing resources for everyone, and our calling is to make those resources accessible to everyone. A misconception about me personally is that I'm a crazy cat lady. Wait! That's not a misconception. Never mind.
7. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
Kate felt it very important to add the following personal details to this, and I am inclined to agree:
- Favorite dinosaur: Stegosaurus
- Favorite colors: Pink & purple
- She has more books than friends (I see no problem here, Kate.)