November 16, 2022
Feeling salty? 🍟
IT'S NATIONAL FAST FOOD DAY!
I don't eat fast food often, since I already have lots of other reasons to hate myself without adding partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to the mix, but every once in a while I do get a hankering for it. My traditional go-to vice is fries, but since becoming a Californian, tacos have taken the number 1 spot in my heart.
Fast food was really popularized in the US in the 1950s, but the first ever fast food restaurant, White Castle, opened in 1921 in Wichita, Kansas.
Someone is excited to celebrate "fast food" he can actually catch.
GIF via Jurassic Park/Slader.
What happened on November 16ths of the past? Here are a few things:
• Born on this day: comedian Pete Davidson (1993), actress Lisa Bonet (1967), actress Maggie Gyllenhaal (1977), and actress Martha Plimpton (1970)
• On this day in 1801 The New York Evening Post published its first issue. The Post is now the oldest continuously running newspaper in the United States
• Oklahoma became the 46th US state on this day in 1907. Shout out to the Choctaw people who gave "the Sooner state" its name — okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red"
• Albert Hofmann first synthesized LSD on this day in 1938
• Milli Vanilli was stripped of their Grammy Award on this day in 1990 after it was discovered that the duo did not sing at all on their hit American debut album Girl You Know It's True
• Finally, on this day in 2006, Nancy Pelosi was selected as the first female Speaker of the House
Alright, you've waited long enough — on to the links!
1. 😂 Comedian Hannah Jones and I have similar feelings about our flesh prisons
"Professionals are always trying to tell me what's wrong with my body, but I think they are trying to scam me."
2. 😈 When a demon possesses the wrong body
Shoulda looked before ya leapt! No take-backs, my dude!
3. 🤣 The DMV basically
Carter Anderson roasts this banal bastion of bureaucracy perfectly.
4. 📚 This website will tell you what time it is using literary quotes
Give it a try and see what quote comes up right now.
5. 😆 If animals could speak...
This comedy account narrates what animals might say if they spoke English.
OK! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with BRAND NEW ART (!), SOME OTHER VERY BIG OTHER NEWS YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS, more nonsense holidays to dissect, more notable birthdays to celebrate, and more witty content in general. Don't miss it! Until next time...
Peace, love, and fries,
Leave a comment