🎶 I can hear music...
SWEET, SWEET MUSIC
Happy National Jukebox Day! Given that today is also informally designated as Drinksgiving, these two lesser holidays go together like peas and carrots (or beer and peanuts
The Wild One gets it!
Before we get to this week's amusing links let's cut some birthday cake for these November 24th babies of yore!
• First up, happy birthday to my baby brother James! Since he's not a public figure I won't divulge his birth year, but suffice it to say that his childhood was delightfully free of Aquanet and laser discs.
• Shoutout to Charles Darwin for publishing his foundational text on evolutionary biology On the Origin of Species on this day in 1859!
• 12th POTUS Zachary Taylor, born this day in 1784! At 16 months long, his presidency was fairly brief. He's routinely ranked near the bottom of most historians' list of best POTUSes thanks to his vague policy stances and tendency to just sort of...exist...in the Oval Office during his tenure. Oh, well. I guess you can still have some cake, Zach.
• French Post-Impressionist artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, born this day in 1864! A fixture of the Moulin Rouge and other Parisian nightclubs (and brothels) of the era, his art is an interesting bridge from the Impressionist movement to the Art Nouveau style that became popular at the turn of the 20th century. Look him up!
• Pianist and composer Scott Joplin, born this day in 1868! Mr. Joplin was a prolific composer who was declared "The King of Ragtime" at the height of his career and was an important influence on the musical form that evolved from ragtime, jazz, following his death in 1917.
Now let's get to some amusing links!
From humorous Venn diagrams to flow charts mapping out procrastination, live a little and give a giggle.
This impeccably-synced mash-up of The Violent Femmes' classic 'Kiss Off' and vintage Sesame Street footage will hopefully put a bounce in your step as you prepare to feast tomorrow!
Myrna is sick of everyone else's BS, and she is not shy about it!
The vets at Holly Ridge Veterinary Hospital in Holly Ridge, North Carolina have some next level animal puns for you. Enjoy!
OK, this is more "useful" than "funny," but Terms of Service Didn't Read is a search engine (and web browser add-on, if you're so inclined) that will allow you to quickly learn all the dubious data collection stuff various websites engage in when you hastily click those buttons that say "I have read and agree to the Terms" in order to get at the content you're after. It also assigns a "privacy grade" to each entity in its database. Neat!
OK! Hopefully these little diversions helped to brighten your day! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with NEW ART, more random holidays, celebrity birthdays, a new episode of the Boredwalk Podcast, and (probably) more! Until then...
Peace, love, and tunes,