😤 If you don't have anything nice to say...
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE INTERNET COMMENTS
It's National Common Courtesy Day! Today reminds us to be decent humans. Let someone in front of you in traffic, hold the door for someone who has their hands full — engage in the little niceties that go a long way towards making society more tolerable.
Since my job involves spending a lot of time on the internet I feel especially conscious of the death of civility, especially in the digital sphere. Don't believe me? You should see our haterade highlights on Instagram.
My challenge to everyone today? If you see something on the internet you don't like, snicker about it privately instead of starting a pointless argument with a stranger. No need to yuck someone else's yum or try to reason with crazy. (Be nice in the physical world, too, if you're getting out there today.)
Today is also National California Strawberry Day, which seems inconsequential unless you have experienced SoCal strawberries. As an east coast transplant I didn't even realize I hadn't had a good strawberry in my entire life until I moved here. If you ever find yourself in this region in the late spring or early summer, get thee to a local farmer's market and partake. The fragrance and flavor are unlike anything they have in grocery stores across the country. Your mind will be blown.
These lemurs get it.
Want some famous birthdays and historical facts about March 21st?
• Actor and filmmaker Gary Oldman was born on this day in 1958! His films have grossed over $11 billion worldwide, making him one of the highest-grossing actors of all time. You may have seen him in films like Bram Stoker's Dracula, True Romance, The Fifth Element, The Professional, or as Sirius Black in the Harry Potter series. He's been in a lot of things.
• Actor Matthew Broderick was also born on this day in 1962! He's also been in plenty of films you've probably seen, like The Cable Guy, Election, Project X, War Games, and my personal fave Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Hope he's having a good day dodging Principal Rooney!
• Comedian, actress, TV personality, producer, author (and Broderick birthday twin) Rosie O'Donnell was born on this day in 1962! She had her own show from 1996-2002 and was a moderator on The View after that, but most recently I've enjoyed her work on Showtime's SMILF.
• It was on this day in 2006 that Jack Dorsey sent the world's first Twitter message, or tweet. If you don't follow Boredwalk on Twitter yet you really should. Our tweets are pretty funny (or so we've been told).
• It was on this day in 1970 that Earth Day was celebrated for the first time!
Alrighty! Unfortunately we're waiting on some respondents to get back to me, so no new Q&A this week. Sorry! If you'd like to be featured in our Monday Q&A segment, reply to this email and let us know — especially since we're out of new ones for future Monday emails!
We'll be back in your inbox on Wednesday morning with links to fun distractions! If you're in a shopping mood, be sure to use the code YAY10 at checkout to save 10% on orders of $100 or more! Until next time...
Peace, love, and strawberries,