July 19, 2023
☀️ Is it hot in here or...
IS SUMMER JUST REALLY KICKING OUR BUTTS?!
Greetings from steamy Los Angeles. I am guessing it's also feeling like some new circle of hell where you are, too, but at least it's National Daiquiri Day!
Daiquiris are often a frozen concoction of rum and fruit that pairs nicely with oven-like temperatures (in as much as anything pairs with that). I'll have to order a virgin version though, as my booze tolerance has really given out with my advancing years, and these days instead of passing Go and collecting a playful buzz I end up straight in hangover jail after even one drink. No fun whatsoever!
We hope you're keeping cool this week, maybe going for a swim or at least sipping your favorite frosty drinks in the shade. If you haven't made your summer 100% more fun yet with our Delve Deck or adult activity books, get thee to our website to order! They're the perfect entertainment for beach days, road trips, or just hiding from the weather indoors.
This bear has the right idea!
GIF via OneGreenPlanet
GIF via OneGreenPlanet
Before we get to this week's amusing links, let's check in on some fun historical facts and notable July 19th birthdays, shall we?
• Have a slice of digital birthday cake for: Supernaturally handsome actor Jared Padalecki (1982), Queen guitarist Brian May (1947), actor Benedict Cumberbatch, (1976) French impressionist Edgar Degas (1834), notorious but acquitted axe murderer Lizzie Borden (1860), Mayo Clinic founder Charles Horace Mayo (1865), and animator Max Fleischer, known for his work with characters like Betty Boop and Popeye (1883)
• The first women's rights convention in America was held in Seneca Falls on this day in 1848
• Geraldine Ferraro became the first woman nominated for the vice-presidency by a major political party on this day in 1984
• Insulin was first introduced in the US as a treatment for diabetes on this day in 1923
• The Paris metro opened on this day in 1900
Now on to the amusing links!
Josh & Tess announce our new Threads account and suggest you join us over there (or don't, do we really need more social media?)
For more LOLs from our team be sure to follow us on our OG social accounts such as Instagram, TikTok and/or YouTube.
Obvious Plant gives us a tour of the bizarre things lurking in British supermarkets.
Sideserf Cake Studio gives us a tour of some of her eerily realistic cakes.
Tayfawn takes us inside her delightfully creepy dollhouse. Like an HGTV tour, but miniature and spooky!
I know he's probably not as adorable as the furry critters we usually feature, but this scaly dude is having such a good time that his slip and slide glee turns him from creepy to cute!
OK! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday — possibly with more nonsense holidays to dissect, more notable birthdays (and maybe even some notable deathdays!) to celebrate, and more witty content in general. Until then...
Peace, love, and keeping cool,