August 01, 2022
Is this the pits or what? 🍑
IT'S NATIONAL PEACH MONTH
Peaches are one of the few redeeming things summer has to offer, but honestly SoCal isn't the place to find them. While the produce in my adopted home, Los Angeles, is typically some of the best I've ever had, I've gotta give peach supremacy props to the east coast. Must be something different in the soil there, or maybe it's the insufferably humid weather. Guess I'll just have to be satisfied with our rad nectarines and closer proximity to the source of Rainier cherries when it comes to stone fruit.
Today is also International Childfree Day! Judging by some of the comments on our social media posts, it seems there are quite a few Boredwalk fans in this club. I'm a member, too. I remember thinking I didn't want kids even when I was a little kid. The only things I want to take care of are some plants and my cat.
Society seems to be more accepting of this choice nowadays than it was when I came of age. "You'll change your mind" was often hurled at me all through my 20s when people found out I didn't want kids. That has yet to happen and I doubt it ever will.
I know plenty of people find this sort of thing endearing, but it's a hard pass for me.
Want a few August 1st historical facts and famous birthdays? Of course you do!
• Famous birthdays: actor Jason Momoa (1979), rapper Coolio (1963), fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent (1936), author Herman Melville (1819), and Grateful Dead lead guitarist/vocalist Jerry Garcia (1942)
• It was on this day that in 1981 that Music Television (MTV) launched
• It was also on this day in 1876 that Colorado became a US state
• Finally, it was on this day in 1776 in Philadelphia that most of the 55 members of the Continental Congress signed a parchment copy of the Declaration of Independence
Alright! Scroll on down to learn a bit about fellow Boredwalk fan Marie P.! If you'd like to be featured in an upcoming Monday email (and are a customer with some Boredwalk tees, tanks, hoodies, towels, bags, or books to show off), just reply to this and let us know, and our co-founder Matt will send you some fun questions to answer (along with our undying gratitude)!
We'll be back here in your inbox on Wednesday with some more random holidays to observe, historical tidbits to acknowledge, and fun links to entertaining content! Until next time...
Peace, love, and peaches,
Marie is looking good in her Taurus hoodie!
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
My day job is being an Esthetician. I love to help people with their skincare issues, especially acne. I’m also a witch on the side.
(Editor's note: The best possible side hustle.)
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
People who are late! They don’t show respect for other people’s time or respect for them in general.
3. What's the most useful piece of advice you've ever received?
Listen to your instincts.
4. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
I want to see more of the world. I love to travel. I’ve been to Greece numerous times, Egypt, London, Paris, Venice, and I need to get back to traveling.
(*sigh* Same, Marie. Same.)
5. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
I would love to be able to fly. It seems like getting out of gridlock would be easier.
6. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
I would choose chin hair. Once you start aging you grow lots of chin hair. It’s not funny.