April 03, 2023
Joy? Seems ambitious, but let's do it! 😊
IT'S NATIONAL INSPIRING JOY DAY!
Kind of an odd choice for a day about inspiring joy to land on a Monday, but I'll bite. I have always found joy to be one of the most elusive human experiences, but increasingly I find myself looking not necessarily for something as ambitious as joy, but more of a reprieve from my depression.
For me, the running theme in improving my mood is taking breaks from the digital world. It's so easy to get sucked into our phones that I've had to really be intentional about forcing myself away from the Pavlovian ding of notifications and endless scroll of horror (and sometimes cats and sandwiches).
Even if I don't feel unbridled joy, I do feel more of a sense of well-being when I do things like nature walks, cooking, playing with our activity book, or engaging in conversations with my friends and partner.
If you've struggled to break the digital habit, I highly recommend setting aside a recurring time each week to turn off your devices (for me it's Friday nights) and connect with yourself or loved ones.
If you haven't yet ordered our Delve Deck, it's a perfect tool for sparking satisfying conversations with anyone from friends to your family or significant other. I've had a lot of fun sharing it with my friends and even passing it back and forth with my husband, who I've known for almost 20 years. If you need a little more joy in your life I recommend giving it a try. (Either that or a puppy, but puppies are messier so that's one thing to keep in mind.)
Agreed! I think we've earned it.
GIF via RuPaul's Drag Race
Want a few April 3rd famous birthdays and historical facts to kick the week off? Here ya go:
• Born on this day: actor Alec Baldwin (1958), actor/comedian Eddie Murphy (1961), actress Amanda Bynes (1986), actor Marlon Brando (1924), actor Adam Scott (1973), primatologist Jane Goodall (1934), actress Doris Day (1922), actress Jennie Garth (1972), and actress Rachel Bloom (1987)
• The first Pony Express service began on this day in 1860
• Outlaw Jesse James was shot in the back by Bob Ford, one of his own gang members (reportedly for a $10,000 reward) on this day in 1882
• TV Guide published their first issue on this day in 1953, with a cover featuring Lucille Ball's newborn baby
• Finally, on this day in 1973, the first mobile phone call was made in downtown Manhattan by a Motorola employee to the Bell Labs headquarters in New Jersey
Alright! Scroll on down to learn a bit about fellow Boredwalk fan Yvonne! If you're feeling even moderately outgoing and would like to be featured in an upcoming Monday email (and are a customer with some Boredwalk tees, tanks, hoodies, towels, bags, or books to show off), just reply to this and let us know and we'll send you some fun questions!
We'll be back here in your inbox on Wednesday with some more random holidays to observe, historical tidbits to acknowledge, and fun links to entertaining content! Until next time...
Peace, love, and joy,
Yvonne looking — dare I say — joyful in her Tolerate Yourself tee!
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
My actual day job was a legal secretary. My dream day job is to be a published graphic novelist.
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
Bad grammar on a dating website. Are you trying to impress me with your inability to construct a simple sentence?
3. What's a book you think the Boredwalk community should read?
Naked by David Sedaris ...really anything by David Sedaris, but Naked is pure comic genius...
4. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
Invisibility, because private conversations...
5. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
Hitting every red light.
6. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
Having my graphic novel hitting at least one best seller list.
7. What is something you wish you could go back in time and say to your younger self?
Your intuition was spot on...when you were doubted, you were actually correct.
8. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?