🧀 Maybe it's cheesy, but there's only one thing that can save today!
PLANTING FACE DOWN IN A BUCKET OF MY FAVORITE COMFORT FOOD!
Happy National Mac & Cheese Day! Maybe it's just me, but I'm really feeling a heavy layer of mid-summer malaise. The post-pandemic recovery hasn't been as much fun as I'd hoped, having found many of my favorite bars, restaurants, and shops failed to survive. We're in the dog days of the summer heat, making the outdoors less of a delight. The only thing that can really improve my mood is a heaping helping of carby, cheesy goodness!
I get it, Liz Lemon: most days lately make me want to flip a table, too!
You can reply informing me that these indulgences are bad for me, and that I should eat more greens, but everything is bad for me, so just let me have this!
Today is also National Pandemonium Day, but that seems like less of an occasion and more like the status quo, so who cares? It's also National Nude Day. I guess because it's hot and sticky outside, but after I make my way through entirely too much mac and cheese I probably won't be in much of a naked mood, so I stand by my selection up top about how to honor July 14th.
Before we try to shake off the blues with some amusing links, let's celebrate a few July 14th birthdays!
• Happy birthday to Austrian symbolist painter Gustav Klimt, born this day in 1862! In addition to his art career, Klimt was one of the most prominent members of the Vienna Secession movement. Noted for his paintings, murals, sketches, and other objects d'art, Klimt's primary subject was the female body, and his works are marked by a frank eroticism. These days he's also known for his work adorning college dorm room walls in an attempt at sophistication.
• Happy birthday to Emmy Award winning actress, comedian, and author Jane Lynch, born today in 1960. Known for her roles in both film and television, having treated us all to her style of humor in hit TV show Glee and films like Best in Show, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, and Role Models.
• Finally, happy birthday to American animator, voice actor, cartoonist, and musician William Hanna, born today in 1910! During the 1930s, Hanna gained skill prominence while working on cartoons such as Captain and the Kids. In 1937, while working at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Hanna met Joseph Barbera. The pair began a collaboration that was at first known for producing Tom and Jerry. In 1957, they co-founded Hanna-Barbera, which became the most successful television animation studio in the business, creating or producing hit programs such as The Flintstones, The Huckleberry Hound Show, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo Where Are You?, The Smurfs, and Yogi Bear.
Today is also Bastille Day, the anniversary of Parisian revolutionaries and mutinous troops storming and dismantling the Bastille, a royal fortress and prison that had come to symbolize the tyranny of France's Bourbon monarchs, in 1789.
Alright, you've waited long enough — let's get to some fun links!
1. "Why wasn't I invited? I wouldn't have gone but should've been invited"
Although I've never met her, I feel like comic Lane Moore and I would get along famously. Her dark humor is laugh out loud funny, and I think her Instagram will be a favorite of yours, as it is one of mine.
2. Images that make you feel happy
A Twitter account with nothing but images to help you beat the blues, serving up cute comic strips, adorable animals, and feel good stories. A perfect compliment for my comfort food escapism!
3. Benson the street cat is more stylish than I'll ever be, but I'm okay with it
This adorable kitty has a look for every occasion, and all of them will bring a smile to your face.
4. You're not being lazy, you're conserving energy!
This TikTok user helps us understand ourselves and the people around us a bit better with some psychological facts you should know.
5. Dad advice we could probably all use
This endearing real life dad will give you tips on everything from shaving to changing your tires. Whether — like me — you grew up without a dad, or your dad was short on this kind of traditional fatherly advice, this Instagram account is worth a follow since it's both cute and informative.
OK! Hopefully these little diversions helped to brighten your day! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with a sweet brand new design we just finished, an epic new podcast episode, more fun birthdays, holidays, and historical facts! Until then...
Peace, love, and mac n cheese,
Leave a comment