Our plans for National Lager Day? 🍻
JUST HANGING WITH THE SQUAD
Happy National Lager Day! I guess, anyway. I'm not a huge lager fan — I like my brews a bit darker and more robust in flavor — but it makes sense that grim reapers would favor a lighter libation. You don't want to feel bloated and sluggish when you're sending folks to their great (or in some instances subpar) reward!
If you're not much of a beer engineer, though, you can still have fun on December 10th! Today also happens to be Dewey Decimal System Day, and given how rainy it's been in Boredwalk's neck of the woods lately it's a wonderful time to hit your local library to stock up on some books to curl up with as you wait for warmer weather to return (because reading al fresco is also fun)!
Take the intensity down a notch, Conan the Librarian!
Maybe have a lager and calm down a bit before you head back into the stacks.
While we're on the subject of fizzy libations (alcoholic or non), let's raise a pint in honor of these December 10th babies:
• Mathematician and early computing pioneer Ada Lovelace, born this day in 1815! Countess Lovelace was the first person to recognize that the Analytical Engine she was working on with inventor Charles Babbage had applications beyond simple calculation, and she published the first algorithm intended for use with the machine, leading to her being regarded as the first computer programmer.
• Poet Emily Dickinson, born this day in 1830! Ms Dickinson was little-known during her life, but in the time since her death in 1886 and the subsequent posthumous publication of her works beginning in 1890 she has been lauded as one of the most important figures in American poetry.
• Actor Michael Clarke Duncan, born this day in 1957! While his acting career began later in life — he was 42 when he appeared in his breakthrough role in The Green Mile — he was cast almost exclusively in successful blockbusters from then on until his passing in 2012.
• Actor Michael Schoeffling, born this day in 1960! "Michael who?" you may be asking. Which is fair! But for a brief time in the mid-1980s Mr. Schoeffling's star shone brightly in the role of the dreadfully boring and kinda awful romantic lead Jake Ryan in 1984's Sixteen Candles. He retired from acting in the early 1990s and makes handcrafted furniture as the owner of a woodworking shop. Good for him!
• Rock drummer Meg White, born this day in 1974! Ms White was one-half of Detroit garage rock duo The White Stripes and pounded the skins and sang backing vocals on all six of the Stripes' studio albums from 1999 until their dissolution in 2011.
So as you may have noted, today is December 10th. If you celebrate it, I hope you had a happy Hanukkah! Regarding the remaining December gift-giving occasions, the US Postal Service claims that the cut-off for "guaranteed" pre-Christmas delivery is next Friday December 17th.
However, we here at Boredwalk prefer to under-promise and over-deliver. Any orders placed today and moving forward into next week will probably arrive in time, but we can't 100% guarantee it at this point. We print most of our items to order, so we often can't ship orders the same day they're placed, especially this time of year. That said, we're all exerting max effort around the office to make it happen! Please just be charitable and understanding with us and other businesses you're ordering from over the next two weeks. We're all trying our hardest to make various holiday dreams come true.
The good news is that a truly magical thing happens when a Christmas gift arrives a day or two late this year — it instantly transforms into a right-on-time Kwanzaa gift as long as it's received/given between December 26th and New Years Day!
To that end, if you're in a shopping mood today or this weekend, don't forget to take 10% off orders of $100 or more with the code YAY10. Also don't forget that orders of $75 or more ship for free within the US!
Alright! We'll be back in your inbox Monday with some more famous birthdays, random holidays, and FINALLY a new customer Q&A — thanks to all who volunteered and have already sent me their answers and pics! If you weren't one of those rad folks and are experiencing a bit of FOMO as a result, reply to this to let me know you'd like to be featured and I'll send you some questions!
Here's to bubbly brews and engrossing reads,