🥪 The one club everyone is invited to join:
Happy National Sandwich Day! Today is also National Stress Awareness Day, which I suppose makes for a sensible pairing, as sandwich consumption is one of my preferred coping mechanisms. That said, I am acutely aware of my stress level at all times, so I'm not sure calling it out with a special day is all that necessary.
And I am obsessed with EATING sandwiches. Maybe we should form a sandwich team, random GIF person!
Alright, let's eat some birthday cake! Born on this day in years past:
• Actor Charles Bronson, born this day in 1921! Mr. Bronson had a varied career, notably appearing in classics such as The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, The Dirty Dozen, and the Death Wish series of films.
• Journalist, editor, and all-around fashion icon Dame Anna Wintour, born this day in 1949! Ms Wintour has served as Editor-in-Chief of Vogue magazine since 1988 and was the inspiration for the Miranda Priestly character in the novel The Devil Wears Prada and its subsequent film adaptation, written by Wintour's former assistant Lauren Weisberger.
• Actor Dolph Lundgren, born this day in 1957! Mr. Lundgren first shot to international fame in the role of Ivan Drago in Rocky IV and has since starred in over 80 films, almost all of them in the action genre. In addition to his acting career, Dolph was the recipient of a Fullbright scholarship to MIT and received a degree in chemical engineering from Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology, which he credits for his cocktail-making skills. What a Renaissance person!
• Activist and former football player Colin Kaepernick, born this day in 1987! Mr. Kaepernick led the San Francisco 49ers to the NFC Championship game in his first season as a starting quarterback, and his decision to sit during the playing of the U.S. national anthem in 2016 prior to games in protest against racial inequality made him a polarizing figure among people who care about songs played at sporting events.
OK, let's get to the reason you are presumably here — to click fun links intended to brighten your day!
Ever wondered what it would be like to replace the tyrannosaurus rex from Jurassic Park with a giant house cat? Well, wonder no more!
2. A modern love story for modern times!
Unlucky in love? Perhaps you should consider swiping right on a twelve foot tall skeleton from Home Depot! At the very least it would be a good listener.
3. Processing anxiety, depression, and other mental health struggles can be...cute?
Not impossible if you're cartoonist and mental health advocate Holly Chisholm!
4. Photographer Louis-Charles Buyck captures arctic scenes that will take your breath away!
Normally I'm not one for cold weather...but these shots definitely make visiting the arctic circle during winter seem appealing.
5. Clay Disarray makes awesome clay art inspired by pop cultural touchstones!
The Nosferatu from Salem's Lot? The creature from An American Werewolf in London? There's a little something for everyone on offer, so check it out!
OK! Hopefully these little diversions helped to brighten your day! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with NEW ART, more random holidays, celebrity birthdays, a new episode of the Boredwalk Podcast, and (probably) more! Until then...
Peace, love, and sammiches,
Leave a comment