April 19, 2023
👃 What an interesting new smell we've discovered!
BANANAS + CATS + GARLIC + DOGS = 🤢 (BUT ALSO 😍)
Happy National Banana Day! Whatever you do, don't tell Josh on our creator team — he recently divulged on the Boredwalk podcast that even the slightest hint of banana flavor will ruin dishes for him. Oh well — guess it's up to me to polish off this hummingbird cake. Bummer!
Today is also National Garlic Day, which is very exciting for me; much more so than banana day. While I appreciate a nice ripe banana, it would not even sniff the Top 20 of my personal "desert island foods" list. Come to that, it may not even crack my Hot 100 chart. Garlic, though? That is easily a Top 10 hit in my book.
Finally, it is ALSO both National Cat Lady Day AND National Dog Parent Appreciation Day. Why the random occasion powers that be chose to be gender-specific regarding cat parentage and gender-neutral regarding dog-rearing escapes me. I'm a proud (former) cat gentleman and take umbrage at this omission!
The good news is that I am working my way through foster cat-dad certification with my local Humane Society and should be crawling with fuzzos just in time for kitten season. Huzzah!
My imminent future! (Don't worry — unlike Conan, I'll keep my shirt on when wading into cuddle puddles.)
GIF via Conan O'Brien/TBS
Want a few famous April 19th birthdays and historical facts before we get to this week's amusing links? Of course you do!
• Some people you've probably heard of who were born on this day: actress Kate Hudson (1979), tennis star Maria Sharapova (1987), actor Tim Curry (1946), actress Ashley Judd (1968), and actress Jayne Mansfield (1933)
• The first Boston Marathon was run on this day in 1897
• The Simpsons first appeared as an animated short on an episode of the Tracey Ullman Show on this day in 1987
• Sally Ride was named the first American female astronaut on this day in 1982
• Bride of Frankenstein was released on this day in 1935, starring Boris Karloff and Elsa Lancaster
• The American Revolution began in Lexington, Massachusetts on this day in 1775
Now on to the amusing links!
This week Josh and Tess from the Boredwalk creator team hit the Hollywood Walk of Fame and asked strangers questions from our Delve Deck with amusing results! For more LOLs from our team be sure to follow us on Instagram, TikTok and/or YouTube
2. 😯 GOP goes drag
This Instagram account uses some AI trickery to envision what various members of the GOP would look like in drag.
This website shows you first lines from various books. Choose your faves and the site will tell you the title and author so you can read the whole thing!
This TikTok user feeds raccoons various treats to see which ones are their faves.
Max Alexander has been designing clothing since he was just 4! You can check out his Instagram account to see his impressive work!
OK! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with more nonsense holidays to dissect, more notable birthdays (and maybe even some notable deathdays!) to celebrate, and more witty content in general. Maybe even some new art, so don't miss it! Until next time...
Peace, love, and interesting odors,
Matt & Meredith