January 04, 2023
😵 You're getting very sleepy...
IT'S WORLD HYPNOSIS DAY
Today is also National Trivia Day, so here's some quick trivia about hypnosis!
1. The origin of hypnosis in the Western world goes back to 1770, which is when German physician Franz Mesmer started using it on patients in Vienna and Paris, when other medical practitioners took an interest they started call it "mesmerism"
2. Hypnosis was quickly conflated with occultism and didn't really get more popular again until the mid-nineteenth century when Scottish surgeon James Braid started using it and calling it "hypnotism"
3. While everyone is hypnotizable to some degree, some people are more easily hypnotized than others
I think we know who the real OG is when it comes to mind control. 🧛
What happened on January 4ths of the past? Here are a few things:
• Born on this day: educator/inventor Louis Braille (1809), REM frontman Michael Stipe (1960), and mathematician/scientist Isaac Newton (1643)
• Billboard Magazine published their first pop music chart on this day in 1936
• Utah became the 45th US state on this day in 1896
• Nancy Pelosi was elected as the first female Speaker of the United States Congress on this day in 2007
Alright, you've waited long enough — on to the links!
No one tell the cats about human economic systems, let them have this mystery!
The Boredwalk team is probably haunted.
Marvel at these creative confections by The Johnny Cakes!
Quick, gotta find a way to deflect!
Yeah, me either!
OK! We'll be back here in your inbox on Friday with more nonsense holidays to dissect, more notable birthdays (and maybe even some notable deathdays!) to celebrate, and more witty content in general. Don't miss it! Until next time...
Peace, love, and mesmerism,