Boredwalk Community: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
Welcome to our weekly Boredwalk Community series, where we ask Boredwalk fans fun questions! This week we're talking to Matt B. of Chicago IL, showing off a whiskey shirt.
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I'm an events planner for a medium-sized nonprofit organization in Chicago. I absolutely love it. My dream day job is to be an events planner for a Formula 1 team. Preferably McLaren or Haas.
2. What's your biggest pet peeve?
3. What's a book that you think the Boredwalk community should read?
Essentialism by Greg McKeown. About 15 months ago I made the conscious decision to truly improve my life. I went on new brain drugs, got a new job I'm passionate about in the industry I love, started seeing a therapist, and reading self-improvement (not self-help) books. Essentialism had the most impact on me. It's about the disciplined pursuit of less: stop taking millimeter steps in a million different directions and take meter-long steps in one or two things that have true meaning to you.
(Ed. note: this tracks well with my own experience as someone with ADD. Nibbling at tasks/projects on the margins is a good way to accomplish very little.)
4. What's a life pro tip that the Boredwalk community needs to know?
If you don't prioritize your life, someone else will.
5. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
Any time they drink something, a few drops end up on their shirt.
6. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
@mberan42 on Twitter. No Facebook — I deleted that over a year ago as part of my decision to improve my life. It was just making me angry. I still have the Insta, though. Same handle — @mberan42
Leave a comment