🪕 Hillbilly opossums. Need we say more? 🐀
YEAH, WE KNOW THAT'S A RAT EMOJI. STOP HATING ON OPOSSUMS, BIG TECH!
Happy Independence Day! Assuming, of course, you reside in the U.S.
While I admit this is presumptuous, it's also logical, since we don't run ads outside of the U.S. and I don't know how you would have discovered Boredwalk otherwise. Astral projection, perhaps?
Or maybe you hitched a ride of the back of a friendly opossum? A human piggybacking on a opossum is about as likely as traveling astral projection, so you can't really discount either possibility.
Now, you may ask yourself "how do I work this?" "why are you featuring a design about opossums on Independence Day, Matt?" This is a great question with a circuitous answer, so stay with me...
Today also happens to be National Hillbilly Day, and hillbillies historically have a reputation for sticking to their rural Appalaichan stomping grounds in the inland parts of the mid-Atlantic region. They also are big fans of nature, bluegrass music, and generally marching to the beat of their own drum — all of which tend to be acquired tastes, not unlike appreciation for (wait for it) opossums, who, like hillbillies, are also predominantly found in the eastern half of the U.S.
See? Makes perfect sense. There are very few things as American as July 4th festivities, opossums, and hillbillies.
After reading this email, opossums be like "I'm both patriotic AND classy AF? Who knew?!?"
• It is not named after an Ancient Roman emperor; rather, it is named after its creator, Caesar Cardini, who immigrated to the U.S. with his brother Alex, and they first served it in their restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico in 1924. Why did they open their restaurant in Mexico if they immigrated to the U.S., you ask? Because opening a restaurant in the U.S. during Prohibition was probably a good way to go out of business pretty quickly. Resourceful immigrants are about as American as apple empanadas and should be welcomed with open arms, especially because it's difficult to hold onto a bowl of delicious Caesar salad if your arms are folded.
Alright! That does it for this email, but if you're hungry for more — and why wouldn't you be? — scroll on down to learn a bit about fellow Boredwalk fan Leah W.! If you'd like to be featured in an upcoming Monday email, just reply to this and let us know, and I'll send you some fun questions to answer AND my undying gratitude!
We'll be back here in your inbox on Wednesday with some more random holidays to observe, historical tidbits to acknowlede, and fun links to entertaining content! Until next time...
Peace, love, and hillbilly opossums,
Leah looking both captivating AND intimidating with a selection from her Hell Goddess towel set!
1. What keeps you up at night?
Nothing. I sleep incredibly well.
(Editor's note: Must be nice! I'm over here trying to knock myself out every night with some combination of bourbon, ind!ca, and Bob Ross re-runs just to get the bare minimum 3-4 hours I need to be somewhat functional each day.)
2. What's a book you think the Boredwalk community should read?
I think the Boredwalk community should read *my* book, Taliswomen. Unfortunately it's not out yet, so they'll have to wait for that (but they can read excerpts!)
In the interim, I think they should read Discover Your Dharma: A Vedic Guide to Finding Your Purpose by Sahara Rose. It's a life-changer.
3. What is something you wish you could go back in time and say to your younger self?
I'm actually creating a series of video messages to my younger self in the hopes that they might help someone else, so I've thought about this quite a lot. I'd tell her, "Trust yourself and protect your energy. YOU are the one you're going to spend every second of your life with, so you better figure out a way to love yourself madly."
4. What is a surprising fact about you?
I have never watched a Star Wars film and am determined that I never do.
(I can respect that. There are actually three very popular sci-fi television franchises I've never watched a single episode of. First person to reply to this email correctly guessing all three wins a free t-shirt!)
5. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
You can find many iterations of me here.