🎊 Huzzah — we made it! 🎉
THE END OF THIS CURSED YEAR IS NIGH!
First things first: if you have called, emailed, DMed, or snail mailed something to us in the last few days with no acknowledgment or response, I'm sorry! At Boredwalk we work insanely long, hard hours from mid-November through late-December and need time off to recover and spend time with family and friends. We'll be back in action tomorrow, but are closed today in observance of the holiday weekend. I promise we're not slacking — largely by pointing out that I am writing to you from ≈ 9:30pm on Christmas Night. That bit of housekeeping out of the way...
GIF via FunnyJunk.com
• 1941: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs a bill establishing the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving in the United States.
• The Beatles' "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There" are released in the US, marking the beginning of "Beatlemania" on an international level.
• 1991: the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union meets and formally dissolves the Soviet Union, ending the Cold War. Someone should probably clue Putin in on this.
• 1956: Humorist & writer David Sedaris is born.
• 1963: Metallica drummer/songwriter Lars Ulrich is born. Obey your master and eat some cake in honor of him!
• 1966: Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt frontman Jay Farrar is born and goes on to become a key figure in the alt-country movement of the late 1980s and 1990s
• 1986: English actor Kit Harington, best known for his role as (sigh) Jon Snow on the HBO series Game of Thrones, is born
• Bishop Desmond Tutu, anti-apartheid and human rights activist, who peaced out this day in 2021