October 14, 2022
If you're feeling discouraged... 😈
TAKE YOUR CUES FROM OUR NEW FRIEND UP TOP!
It's National Dessert Day and I am all for it! I am a huge fan of dessert, and the only real problem with it is that it's normally served after a meal, when I am probably too full to eat it. It should really be National Eat Dessert First Day so I can have some.
When I was a kid I always thought the word had something to do with deserve, like eat all your greens if you want to earn that slice of cake, but it turns out the word comes from the French word desservir, which translates to "clear the table." This is due to the fact that dessert is usually served after a main meal's dishes have been cleared. You learn something new every day!
Today is also National Chocolate Covered Insect Day which I am firmly against because that is gross. (Though if that's something you want, dear reader, by all means have at it.)
I know eating insects is a good source of protein and that it's eco-friendly, but it's gonna be a hard pass for me. I don't eat dead things in general and I am not making exceptions for bugs, chocolate covered or otherwise. The frogs can have 'em!
This guy is very excited to celebrate Chocolate Covered Insect Day.
(gif via ABC)
Let's wrap it up with a few famous birthdays and historical facts about October 14th:
• Born on this day: Roger Moore of James Bond/007 fame (1927), R&B singer Usher (1978), philosopher/author Hannah Arendt (1906), actor/comedian Steve Coogan (1965), and author e e cummings (1894)
• On this day in 1982 US President Reagan declared a war on drugs (spoiler alert: drugs won)
• On this day in 1926 Winnie-the-Pooh made his literary debut
• Arthur Conan Doyle published The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on this day in 1892
• Finally, on this day in 1979 the first National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights took place in response to the election of Reagan, LGBTQ intolerance, and the recent murder of Harvey Milk
OK, that's it for this week! We'll be back here in your inbox on Monday with a fresh email and (hopefully) a fresh customer Q&A! If you'd like to be featured in an upcoming email reply to this and let us know!
Peace, love, and desserts,