November 06, 2023
It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be dark 😱
BUT AT LEAST THERE WILL BE SNACKS!
"Happy" National Nachos Day! Are the temperatures growing icier? Yes. Are the days growing shorter and darker? Yes. But is it existential dread season? ALSO YES!
What's that old adage? Starve a fever, feed a seasonal depression? Well that's the adage I'm going with, and as long as my ear holes are gonna be fed a steady diet of Christmas music for the next 8 weeks, my mouth hole is gonna be feasting on nachos.
He's not wrong, nachos are a valuable coping tool.
GIF via Maytag
GIF via Maytag
Let's kick off the week with a few famous November 6th birthdays and historical facts:
• Abraham Lincoln was elected 16th President of the United States on this day in 1860
• Good Morning America premiered on ABC on this day in 1975 and Meet The Press premiered on NBC on this day in 1947
• British punk band the Sex Pistols had their first live show on this day in 1975 and St. Martin's College in London
• Birthday nachos all around for: actress Sally Field (1944), singer-songwriter Glenn Frey of The Eagles (1948), actor Ethan Hawke (1970), actress Rebecca Romijn (1972), and actress Emma Stone (1988)
OK, scroll on down to learn a bit about fellow Boredwalk fan Dorothy! If you're feeling even moderately outgoing and would like to be featured in an upcoming Monday email (and are a customer with some Boredwalk tees, tanks, hoodies, towels, bags, or books to show off), just reply to this and let us know and we'll send you some fun questions!
We'll be back here in your inbox on Wednesday with some more random holidays to observe, historical tidbits to acknowledge, and fun links to entertaining content! Until next time...
Peace, love, and nachos,
Dorothy looking radiant in her Girls Will Be Girls scoop-neck fleece!
• What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
I work in marketing and communications (or so the assumption goes, manipulation and coercion) for a private boarding high school in New England. While I truly enjoy my job, especially love giving advice to insecure teenagers (because I was once one!), my dream job is to be a writer.
I want to write dark comedies (such as BiPolar for Jesus or Awkward in a Time of Abstinence) and also create children's books on social justice.
• What's your biggest pet peeve?
Being interrupted from a moment of inspiration. Oh lordy, my creative narcissism can't deal with a measle like you right now!
• What's a book you think the Boredwalk community should read?
I do in fact have two children's books I've self-published (God, what a nightmare, don't do it!). These books are Sam the Fuzzy Caterpillar - about Sam the Caterpillar becoming Samantha the Butterfly and The Lonely Dandelion - about remembering the importance of all creatures on Earth.
• If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
I wish I had the superpower to make myself invisible. I used to think I'd like flying, but it was really the alone escape aspect of it all.
Sure, I like people and interacting and having engaging conversations, but sometimes, I just need to be f**king alone. I need to come back to myself, make sure my pieces are within distance of each other, and like the glorious monster I am, I need to assemble myself back together before going out in public again. Meow.
• You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
I would curse them so that they were never completely alone when they needed to fart and thus, the death of a thousand toots would break down their true narcissism.
• What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
I would go skydiving without the fear of puking and duking the run-of-green-sturdy fields.
• What is something you wish you could go back in time and say to your younger self?
I would tell her she was cool, that the popular kids were just boring, and wanted to make fun of her unique self because they were just jealous of it. No. I would tell her she was already on her way.
• Clear up a misconception (about your job, where you are from, some other topic you know a lot about).
I know a thing or two about farts. They are an unfortunate torture to me. Am I a gassy lassie? Yes. Do I have a dairy derrière? Yes. Do I would wish for the mundane pleasure of a healthy gut? ALL. THE. TIME.
If I had a better gut, I wouldn't have to go back and tell my younger self to take the risks, to not be Dorothy-the-doormat, or give your snack money to Kyle because you found him cute but mean.
Here's a common misconception: that the title of popularity means something is cooler, means something is better, that something is more worthy. No. False. Let's pop that false bubble of odd reflection and just offer grace to each other. You are already on your way.
• Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?