NORMALLY I CAUTION AGAINST THE PHRASE "IT COULD BE WORSE."
We're not tempting fate this week because if we say that dreaded phrase the universe will certainly hear it and deliver, but this week I'm more showing than telling.
Before we get to this week's fun distractions let's have some birthday cake!
Me furiously shoveling carby comfort into my maw.
Today's birthday celebrants include:
• Actress and filmmaker Laura Dern, born this day in 1967. Dern is the recipient of numerous accolades, including an Academy Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, and five Golden Globe Awards. She's known for appearing in films such as Blue Velvet, Jurassic Park and Wild at Heart, but my personal favorite is 90s era black comedy Citizen Ruth.
• Actress director, writer, and producer Elizabeth Banks, born this day in 1974. Banks is known for starring in a host of films including The Hunger Games, Wet Hot American Summer, Zack and Miri Make a Porno, and The 40-Year Old Virgin.
• Songstress Roberta Cleopatra Flack, born this day in 1937. She is known for several number 1 singles, including "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "Killing Me Softly with His Song", "Feel Like Makin' Love"; and "Where Is the Love." Flack is the only solo artist to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in two consecutive years: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" won at the 1973 Grammys and "Killing Me Softly with His Song" won at the 1974 Grammys.
• Cartoon series Tom & Jerry, which premiered on this day in 1940. Between 1940 and 1958 the series won seven Academy Awards for Best Animated Short Film, tying for first place with Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies with the most awards in the category.
OK, OK...you've waited long enough. It's link time!
1. Sick of your own four walls? Here's something to help you appreciate your digs.
Yes, we've all spent entirely too much time in our own homes over the last year, but at least we're not living in New York City's worst apartment ever. I know this sounds like a lofty claim, but click on through and be in awe of a dwelling so terrible, you'll be glad it's not yours.
2. Celebrating Valentine's Day alone? Maybe it's just as well.
This Instagram account has an epic collection of dating horror stories. It'll be enough to make you appreciate the one you're with, even if the one you're with is a house cat and a bottle of merlot.
3. Sure we're living in plague times, but at least we're safe from 50-foot felines.
Artist Fransdita Muafidin re-imagines the internet's favorite critters as larger-than-life menaces taking down cities and countrysides alike. The results are both adorable and hilarious.
4. You might love your comfy pants, but do you love them as much as this guy's wife does?
Music parody creator Penn Holderness takes aim at his wife's favorite pair of lounge pants in this silly re-write of 80's pop classic 'Safety Dance'.
5. Speaking of musical parodists, let's all watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog interview "Weird Al" Yankovic.
The only thing this will make you appreciate is that Weird Al is still a national treasure.
Leave a comment