October 24, 2022
🤨 That's gonna be a hard pass for me...
THERE'S A SPECIAL PLACE FOR GOOD AND PLENTY 🗑️
Today is National Good & Plenty Day, an occasion notable only because it manages to be both the oldest branded candy in the United States AND the most disgusting "candy" of all time.*
Seriously, somehow Good & Plenty has been plaguing American tastebuds since 1893. How those pink and white candy-coated pellets of Satan's excrement ever made it out of the 19th century, let alone into the 21st, is a mystery for the ages and incontrivertible proof that Lucifer works in disgusting ways.
Today also marks the start of Diwali, a festival of lights and legends celebrated by Hindus and Sikhs that lasts for 5 days. The occasion stands as a celebration of light taking over darkness and the triumph of good over evil. This sounds more fun than celebrating a bitter filling-threatening candy that should have been retired last century. Sounds like a perfect day for a vindaloo and kaju katli instead of some nasty boxed licorice masquerading as candy.
I know, some of you disagree on this point, and that's fine; that just means more of this revolting treat for you. You can have mine!
Black licorice, the official candy of you know who!
(gif via Adult Swim)
Want a few famous October 24th birthdays and historical facts to amuse your friends with over samosas & gulab jamun later? Of course you do!
• Born on this day: singer-songwriter The Big Bopper (1930) and rapper Drake (1986)
• Harry Houdini's last performance took place on this day in 1926 at the Garrick Theatre in Detroit
• On this day in 1945 the United Nations Charter came into effect
• Earth finally got its first close-up on this day in 1946 when a camera on board the V-2 No. 13 rocket took the first photo of our planet from outer space. (Some people are still convinced the Earth is flat, despite photographic evidence to the contrary, proving some people are literally impossible to reason with.)
• Finally, on this day in 1975, 90% of women in Iceland went on a national strike, refusing to work in protest of gender inequality. Iceland's parliament passed a law guaranteeing equal pay the following year.
Alright! Scroll on down to learn a bit about fellow Boredwalk fan Joy S.! If you'd like to be featured in an upcoming Monday email (and are a customer with some Boredwalk tees, tanks, hoodies, towels, bags, or books to show off), just reply to this and let us know, and we'll send you some fun questions to answer (along with our undying gratitude)!
We'll be back here in your inbox on Wednesday with some more random holidays to observe, historical tidbits to acknowledge, and fun links to entertaining content! Until next time...
Peace, love, and light,
Joy expressing her religious affiliation in her Coffee Is My Religion racerback tank top!
1. What's your actual day job and what's your dream day job?
Day job: Director of Marketing and Communications.
Dream job: Author or radio astronomer.
2. What keeps you up at night?
(Editor's note: Same!)
3. What's the most useful piece of advice you've ever received?
"Do what you say, say what you mean, and don't be mean when you say it." - Unknown origin, but learned from my mom.
(She sounds like a smart woman.)
4. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
To know when people are lying.
5. You can curse your nemesis with a minor annoyance for eternity; what do you choose?
An itch that they can't physically scratch, such as deep in between leg muscles. It's the most bizarre feeling.
6. What experience do you most want to cross off your bucket list?
Visit New Zealand.
7. What is something you wish you could go back in time and say to your younger self?
Do it scared. (Thanks, Elyse Myers!)
8. Clear up a misconception (about your job, where you are from, some other topic you know a lot about).
I'm from Maine. We don't ride moose or tractors to school, though some people drove their snowmobiles to my high school in winter.
9. Where can the rest of the Boredwalk community find you?
Find my nerdy musings on Twitter @joysef99
Leave a comment