🌐 The real reason for the internet? Let me tell you...
VALIDATION FROM STRANGERS, OF COURSE!
It's Viral Video Day! Since the early days of video on the internet, people have been trying to make viral videos. Sure they can be helpful for cash or fame, but really behind it all is a desire for approval from people we've never met. Don't we live in fun times?
It is sort of my job to be interested in viral videos, but I'm actually more interested in designing fun products. Maybe this is why I am generally terrible at running Boredwalk?
Don't get me wrong, I want validation from strangers, too. Don't we all, in some way or another? However, I don't want to be on camera. I've actually hated having my picture taken ever since I was a kid, and video sounds even worse.*
* I have the charisma of a cactus, so my aversion to being filmed or photographed is really a public service. You can thank me later.
I've recently tried to solve this problem by adding new members to the Boredwalk team. If you follow us on TikTok, Youtube, or Instagram you may have noticed new faces popping up in videos we recently shared over there. That's thanks to our new and infinitely more photogenic/less camera shy team members Madeleine and Robert,** who've joined our team to help produce video content for Boredwalk we can all be amused by.
Will the newest additions to the Boredwalk crew go viral? It remains to be seen. Apparently they are competing with the likes of past viral success stories like "Baby Shark Dance" (the current record-holder in terms of total views) and "Gangnam Style" (which remained at the top of the viral charts for over four years). Hecate help us!
If you'd like to see our team's latest attempts to keep you entertained, be sure to follow us over on TikTok, Youtube, or Instagram. They'll be releasing fresh new LOLs every day. Give 'em a like or share if the mood strikes, every little bit helps!
** Not to be confused with the Robert who you may have corresponded with over email, who heads up our customer service team. We now have two of them! One of them helping you with all your customer service inquiries, and another one trying to make you laugh with funny videos. An embarrassment of riches Roberts, if you will. Our cup runneth over...with Roberts.
Me explaining Robert and Madeleine to my friends and family.
And now to wrap it up, a few famous April 29th birthdays and historical facts:
• Celebrating birthdays today: actress Michelle Pfeiffer (1958), actress Uma Thurman (1970), musician Willie Nelson (1933), comedian Jerry Seinfeld (1954), rapper Master P (1970), and jazz musician Duke Ellington (1899). So many birthdays!
• It was also on this day in 1990 that wrecking cranes began tearing down the Berlin Wall at the Brandenburg Gate.
• On this day in 1967 Aretha Franklin released her single "Respect" (written by Otis Redding). It became Billboard's Song of the Year.
• Finally, on this day in 1852 the 1st edition of Peter Roget's Thesaurus was published in Great Britain.
Here we are, at the end of this email! If you plan to stock up on Boredwalk goodies this weekend, don't forget to save 10% on orders of $100 or more when you use the code YAY10 at checkout!
Orders of $75 or more ship for free within the US — no code needed!
We'll be back in your inbox Monday with a new Boredwalk Community Q&A, more famous birthdays, a random holiday or two, and other assorted entertainment!
Until next time...
Peace, love, and viral videos,
Leave a comment