May 08, 2023
What's so rewarding about today? 🤨
IT'S REWARD YOURSELF DAY!
I say resisting the urge to hurl myself into the Pacific is reason enough that I deserve a little treat, but today's occasion is actually kind of suspect.
According to my sources, the occasion was dreamed up by a "health and wellness" platform launched by Albertons/Safeway. We are supposed to be rewarding ourselves for "taking steps to improve (y)our health and overall well being."
Look, mega-corps: I don't need to pass some bar of effort in the wellness department to reward myself. I do what I want. I say you all deserve rewards just for muddling through another day, whether you've taken steps to "improve" or not. Reality isn't improving, so why should we?
That's the energy I'm bringing to the day!
Want a few famous May 8th birthdays and historical facts to kick the week off? Here ya go:
• Born on this day: singer-songwriter Enrique Iglesias (1975), 33rd U.S. President Harry S Truman (1884), and musician/actor/teen idol Ricky Nelson (1940)
• The first installment of Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales was published on this day in 1835
• The classic Hammer horror film adaptation of Dracula, starring Christopher Lee, premiered on this day in 1958
• Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta sold the first Coca-Cola on this day in 1886
• The Cure released their debut album Three Imaginary Boys on this day in 1979
• The Beatles released their final studio album, Let It Be, on this day in 1970
Alright! No new community Q&A this week. However, if you're feeling even moderately outgoing and would like to be featured in an upcoming Monday email (and are a customer with some Boredwalk tees, tanks, hoodies, towels, bags, or books to show off), just reply to this and let us know and we'll send you some fun questions!
We'll be back here in your inbox on Wednesday with some more random holidays to observe, historical tidbits to acknowledge, and fun links to entertaining content! Until next time...
Peace, love, and rewards,