February 17, 2023
Who even hired these two?! 😒
THE EXECUTIVE TEAM IN MY BRAIN KINDA SUCKS 👆
No one has bought into hustle culture more than my anxiety and depression. They start their day early and work 'til all hours, rarely take days off — they're absolutely killing it (and by "it" I mean me). I can't beat them, but I can laugh at them, hence our new design up top.*
* I sometimes imagine those two jerks in a stuffy meeting room plotting their latest schemes. They've got those creepy corporate motivational posters on the wall and mugs full of burnt coffee at the ready.
Now I know not everyone finds mocking their maladies to be in good taste, but if you're of that ilk we're probably not your cup of tea, anyway. Every time we put out art like this we always get lectures from internet strangers about how "mental illness isn't funny." Sometimes when I'm in the depths of despair or panic, trying to find humor in my brain's unhinged little monologue is the only way out. It doesn't always work for me, but taking it seriously makes me feel better...never. We all have our own ways of processing things.
Speaking of things, today is Random Act of Kindness Day, so be sure to do something nice today, even if it's for yourself! I would like my depression and anxiety to consider doing something nice and take a long walk off a short pier, but they are rarely open to suggestions, especially from me.
Me floating this suggestion to my inner critic, which will definitely be ignored.
GIF via Saturday Night Life
Here's something nice for YOU! We have a new episode of the Boredwalk podcast. Boredwalk co-founder Matt chats with Josh from our creator team about horror movies vs rom-coms, drinking less, horrible picnics, not talking to strangers in public, Girl Scout cookies vs. Boy Scout popcorn, and YOUR comments on recent Question of the Day posts. Watch the episode on YouTube or listen on your favorite podcasting platform.
Want a few notable February 17th birthdays and historical facts to kick off the weekend? Here are a few...
• Born on this day: elfin singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran (1991), sportsball superstar Michael Jordan (1963), actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt (1981), actor Jerry O'Connell (1974), Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong (1972), and actor Lou Diamond Phillips (1962)
• Puccini's opera "Madama Butterfly" premiered on this day in 1904 to a not-so-hot reception from the public, but it still went on to be a famous opera, so I guess false starts don't mean total doom
• The New Yorker was first published on this day in 1925
• The world's first superhero, The Phantom, made his debut in comics on this day in 1936
• Saudi Arabia got its first female Editor-in-Chief at a newspaper on this day in 2014, when Somayya Jibarti became the Editor-in-Chief at The Saudi Gazette
• Finally, on this day in 1801 the electoral college tie between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr was broken by the House of Representatives, who elected Jefferson as the third US President
OK, that's it for this week! We'll be back here in your inbox on Monday with another email and (hopefully) a fresh customer Q&A! If you'd like to be featured in an upcoming email reply to this and let us know!
Peace, love, and kindness,